Sunday, September 24, 2006
It's a lovely day, and I really should be outside, but am going to spend the day sorting out images for a friend, (of all sorts of medieval textiles) and basically get caught up on my research. It makes a nice change from more cleaning and sorting out, which I am entirely sick of. I have lots of stuff which has to eventually be gone through, but I think, that for now, I've had enough.
Saying that, I did come across a real treasure - my late mother-in-law's button box. (Yes, much of what we are trying to deal with are her belongings, so its difficult...) And inside, I found a lovely felt brooch, which I suspect would date from the alte 20s or early 30s. (In another words, before her marriage). It will have been made by either her, her mother, or one of her sisters - probably her mother. By all accounts she was a woman who thoroughly enjoyed making embellishments - her decorated hats were quite 'famous' within the family, and it just strikes me as something she would have made. Whoever made it, it had been carefully kept by mum. Each flower is is made of felt, and its sweet how something like this can come full circle and be in fashion again, and I know my friend Ruth would love it, as she makes corsages today! Of course, there were some pretty terrific buttons in the box as well, so I did spend a nice evening going through them!
I am obviously becomming a little obsessed with the whole frilled edge experiments - I saw a jumper this week and had to have it - simple because it has a knitted frilled edge at the bottom and sleeve edges! And so, here's the image I tried to upload at my last post - this is during weaving, on my small lap loom, using a rigid heddle to conrol the warp threads. I have used the technique discussed by Carla Tilghman ('Giovanna Cenami's Veil: A Neglected Detail' from Medieval Clothing and Textiles Volumne 1). I had never tried anything like this in narrow weaving, and really was quite thrilled with the result. It was difficult on the lap loom though, as the frill warps need to be looser than the band warp. I achieved this by having these as weighted warp threads, but as the loom does rest on my lap, it wasn't ideal. In the end I controled the warp thread with my hand - something which couldn't be done on a large loom, but worked quite well with the narrow band, as there were only a few warp threads to deal with.
Onward and upward, and time to get those images and so on together!