Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Little update




I have now finished all of the samples for the frilled headdress experiments. Actually, I could go on and on with experiments, as each one that I completed led to an idea for another way to do it, but I had to stop eventually! Now to write everything up...

The image above shows a tablet woven ribbon sewn to the edge of linen. The thickness which is naturally created in tablet weaving lent itself to this rather regimented type of frill.

I have also had quite a few enquiries about buttons recently. So, I have updated the Gallery at my web site with pictures of just some of the different types of buttons I have made. I do really enjoy buttons, even the complicated ones, as I find having to concentrate on them relaxing. I know, rather weird. Below are a couple of close-ups; the pink ones are Dorset cartwheel buttons, made with cotton over a brass ring. I can remember very similar covered rings used as blind pulls at a great aunt's house when I was a child. They were so pretty and really fascinated me. Although, no-one had called them Dorset rings, or cartwheels then - though perhaps in upstate New York the names just hadn't travelled then...


The image below is a variation of a Leek button - I was experimenting with the use of two colours of silk. This one was time consuming!


My jewellery findings and beads shop, Shop4Beads, is now live. Its been alot of work getting that up and running, and now its time to try and source some interesting things. I hope to eventually include sets of some of my hand-made buttons; although these aren't likely to be used on clothing these days (except of course for reconstructions), I have made some very interesting jewellery using them. Of course, I lost the images with all of the computer troubles I was having. Oh well, these things are sent to try me!

Next job on the agenda is to give my main site a nice new look. It needs it! Hopefully, I will come up with something suitable inspired...

4 comments:

  1. you are unstoppable!
    I like the Leek buttons a lot. Eighteenth century ones seem to be called death's head buttons, for reasons I can't imagine!
    I have been meaning to ask you if you knew how they were done, and as I suspected, you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Death's head is a particular pattern, and as far as I can find out to date, no-one knows why its called that. I wouldn't be surprised if they were originally done in black or something... Mind you, the buttons weren't only made in Leek - there are French instructions for the Death's Head too! Anyway, I'll show you how to do them when we have that lunch! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, any idea of what happened to the "Trimmed with Frills: Crimped, frilled and ruffled edges in women's headwear in medieval and early modern times" publication? I should love to read it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand that funding ran out or was re-allocated, though the intention is still to publish..

    You might want to visit this blog - http://m-silkwork.blogspot.com/search/label/frilled%20headwear - Isis was another working on this and her thesis is on the subject. Although not published in English, much of her info is online. I'll dig out my piece and send it if you like?

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.