Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Wet and dreary November day

I've been a busy so and so just recently. I've been asked to do 300 buttons for a terrific project, so ensuring I could get enough of the rings required at short notice has kept me busy. I've also been trying to track down a good source for silk chenille thread and fine silk gimp - I currently make my own gimp when I need it, but it would be nice to have a source. If anyone reading this knows of anyone in the UK I'd love to hear from you!

I'm also working on a lovely silk girdle - 140 tablets, a really fine piece which is going to take some time but is a great pleasure to work on. Both projects are particularly enjoyable because they are fine details in costume - the buttons especially, yet they will be 'right', even if no-one else knows it... It's what I enjoy about this work the most.

It always amazes me how some productions/re-enactors, whatever, can believe that they will get the same overall effect without looking at the details. They never do. It wouldn't be so bad but there are still ways to do some things without the expense of 'fully' authentic, yet still look right. There's nothing worse than an otherwise lovely costume ruined by the wrong trim. Or perhaps I'm too fussy and notice too much?!

And the other work? Jewellery mainly. Still incorporating braids and buttons, and other passementerie. This type of work I do like - experimenting with modern ways of using the old techniques. It doesn't always work of course! But it is interesting, and there are so many unique threads out there too.

I'm going to visit my friend Ruth in her new studio this week, and am really looking forward to it.

1 comment:

  1. looking forward to seeing you too! and those buttons!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.