Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Tassels and more tassels...

It's raining again... still, I suppose we did have a few days of summer so probably shouldn't really complain...


The wide girdle is complete; it was posted last week, and hopefully will arrive safely over in the states very soon. It's always a worry waiting for items to be delivered. If only I could hand deliver them all.

I'm really pleased with how it has turned out, the colour is beautiful and I think it will look lovely when worn.


I also took delivery of a very large lot of silks from DeVere's. I'm starting a commission for 40 tassels for the Langholm Common Riding. These tassels will have wooden molds and all silk, with wired skirts and ruffs. I will be making the tassels to match existing ones, it was very interesting to study the tassels and work out how it was made without taking it apart. And it's so nice that they will be used for something so steeped in tradition! I always love getting a new order of silk - I happen to really like the smell of silk (I know that some people don't) and it's always inspiring opening a parcel of it.


The molds have had to be specially turned for the project - Scottish Fibres were really helpful for this, and its quite fitting I think that the molds have been made in Scotland.

I have also been working on designs for key tassels for a boxmaker, Andrew Poder. He has some truly wonderful boxes! These little tassels are proving as interesting as the large ones - I'll post some images as I complete prototypes.

3 comments:

  1. Just to let everyone know. That the girdle arrived last week and it is absolutely gorgeous! Gina did a beautiful job.

    The picture doesn't do the girdle justice. It's something that must be seen in person.

    I'm in the process of getting the buckle for the girdle ordered. So hopefully once that happens, I can send an updated photo to Gina. :)

    I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The girdle looks lovely! glad it's been well received too.
    looking forward to seeing your tassels for Langholm Common Ride - one of my friends always does that ride so I can get her to tassel spot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Jenn! :)

    One day I'll figure out how to take good pictures of silk. At least that's what I keep telling myself....

    And Ruth, what a coincidence!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.