Saturday, January 05, 2008

Happy New Year! and gold brocade tw video...

I hope that you all had a lovely holiday season! Very quiet for us, but lovely to not have turned on the computer for days... I've been able to weave, embroider, read some terrific books, and generally relax, which is never a bad thing.

As promised, here is a video to show the gold brocade process for the taplow band. (If I can get it uploaded!). It was a bit of a nightmare to make, simply because the camera didn't want to talk to the editing software, but, I got there in the end.

This shows one pass of brocading, as I do it. For this band I have chosen to have the tie-downs under 2 threads, this emphasises the design a little better with the plate gold. For those of you interested in this type of thing, it has taken about 13 minutes per centimetre at my fastest!

Hopefully, this will download correctly, but if not, let me know. I was considering taking stills from it (haven't tried that bit of the software yet) so could still do so.

If anyone is really interested in taking up brocade tablet weaving, I really must recommend Nancy Spies' book -
Ecclesiastical Pomp & Aristocratic Circumstance:
A Thousand Years of Brocaded Tabletwoven Bands


4 comments:

  1. You make this look SO easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! it must take aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages to finish anything brocaded!
    gasp! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:33 pm

    lovely demo - thanks for sharing it, Gina. The finished band looks fabulous :D

    Juliet xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this with us. very good presentation! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.