I have also started on the next commission of brocaded tablet weave - this time another Anglo-Saxon design, with gold plate (not gilt) and fine wool. The wool is a deep blue and the contrast with the gold is quite stunning. I have quite alot of this to do in a fairly short time, so this will be the main priority over the next month.
My website is in need of some updating; to this end I have finally added the report on the 18th century tassels which I restored and repaired. I put a note into this regarding dating simply from the item itself (which basically put it anywhere prior to the late 19th century), but as the tassels came from a small stately home, their own date of the 18th century (when the house itself was renovated) really should be trusted. You can find the pdf here.
And, in an effort to keep this blog a little visual, here's one of a set of four little purse tassels -
I actually thoroughly enjoyed doing the needlework on the pear-shaped mould, a technique called limace spirale in French, time-consuming as it was!
I also watched (probably) one too many repeats of costume dramas - there really is a woeful lack of leek buttons on film and tv, even the newer dramas. Shame that. Perhaps I ought to start up a Campaign for Leeks in Costume or something...
Happy new year to you all!