Thursday, February 26, 2009

Silk ribbon


Another rush job completed - 2 lengths of silk grograin ribbon at a half inch wide, as well as another length a quarter inch wide (not in the photo!). The quarter-inch was sooo cute, if I do say so myself, a lovely tiny ribbon! This will ultimately trim a gown with the little ribbon making bows.
I'm taking a tiny breather from weaving now - only in that I now have to wind off skeins and prepare for the next one!
I am looking into having a new loom made. Not anything 'historical', but something which hopefully will be practical enough for both tablet weaving and inkle weaving, and do very long lengths. Of course, how successful it is will depend on my design - I am basing it on an inkle floor loom, but with a variation to allow me to weave with tablets as well. Now to keep my fingers crossed that my friend will be able to make it. (And, if it doesn't quite work for both, it'll make one heck of a warping board!)

6 comments:

  1. I like the new look of your page - and easy to get to projects up the top left :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooooooh the ribbon is so lovely!
    good luck with the new loom too :)

    isis

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had meant to ask you... what kind of warp do you put up for grosgrain? Is the weft a heavier thread, or a multiple? Do you have to make a special selvedge? It's so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Michael, For that ribbon I used 120 denier silk for the warp - singly, whereas for the weft I use it double. It's a tiny difference, but with the fine silk is still noticeable in the weave, but also means that the selvedge doesn't have to be treated in any special way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gina,
    I think your work is amazing. I ended up on your blog for a different reason, though, and I'm wondering if you might be able to help me. I'm a translator (from Italian to Eng) and am stuck on a term that has to do with passementeries. I'm looking for the term to describe the wooden turned tools used to make bows and what in Italian is referred to as a 'bracelet' (but I don't know exactly what this is). Ithink I've found a picture on a website. They look like the feet of antique furniture, made out of turned wood.
    Any idea?
    Thanks for any help,
    isabella

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Isabella, I'm sending you an email. If you don't get it let, let me know. I'm not sure I can help - I know French terms, but sometimes they can be quite similar words to Italian...

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.