Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Article now live

My article, Victorian Trimming and Embellishment Ideas, has now gone live over at the online magazine Your Wardrobe Unlock'd. Unfortunately, you do have to be a subscriber to read it. (if you visit the site, and scroll down the front page, you can see what this month's articles are all about)

Basically, the magazine is running quite an ambitious competition - 'The Single Pattern Project'. A surviving 1860s day dress has been chosen, now subscribers will be given information about scaling patterns, construction (including all of the underwear) fabrics, accessories - basically everything that is relevant to the original and to clothing of the period. After all of the advice has been given, there will be a competition with quite a few different different categories, from most historically accurate, most inventive (do something crazy!) and thriftiest, amongst others. (and this is besides the other great articles on historic costume).

So, the title of my article says it all really. There are instructions for basic tassels, fringe, braids, button covering and cord-spinning, as well as how to best attach trim to fabrics. Hopefully it will help some of the entrants.

Do have a look at the 'freebies' section of the site to get a flavour of what the magazine is all about. (Shameless promotion I know, but I am actually a subscriber as well as now a contributor!)

And will I be entering? Originally, yes, though not in the historically accurate section, as I have no need for a full Victorian day dress! Now, however, I'm getting quite alot of work lined up (including metres and metres of tablet weaving), so I'm not sure I'll have the time. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.