Friday, July 06, 2012

Tassel progress being made

It is some time since my last post - my apologies! (little bits of info can always be found over at my Facebook page!) Things have really been busy.

The title of this post tells what the biggest thing has been - the next dvd titles. Making Tassels Vol. 1 is now in production, and filming starts on volume 2 this weekend. And, there will be quite a few new products to go with everything, as, no matter how you try, you can't make tassels without some unusual/hard-to-find materials. Things are moving along nicely though - perhaps this terrible weather is helpful, I have no reason to want to go out and enjoy summer.... ;-)

It has been a week of quite exciting things - I received my copy of the Encyclopedia of Medieval Dress and Textiles of the British Isles c. 450-1450 - with my entry on Passementerie. It was a real honour to be asked to contribute on the subject of my passion, and extra nice to see it in print. And the book itself is frankly wonderful. I have to admit to taking time out of my silly schedule to read just a little bit of it, but I can't wait to get properly 'stuck in'! Here's a link if any of you would like further info -
http://www.brill.nl/encyclopedia-medieval-dress-and-textiles-british-isles-c-450-1450

On the experimentation front, Suzi ( http://www.suziclarke.co.uk/ ) sent me a couple of photos of some buttons dating from about 1825 - buttons which I have seen in other photos but never with enough clarity to really see what is going on. But of course being a brilliant costumier and as much of a detail geek as me, Suzi was able to take photos of enough of the back of the buttons - that, with a little bit of a description of what the bit that couldn't be photographed looked like meant that it all made perfect sense immediately. That my friends, is excitement. I cannot describe how pleased I was to see those pictures, and I will admit to dropping everything and having a go at how I thought they may have been made. And it worked by jove!

I was also asked to look at some pearled buttons - I'm not going to let on too much about the project these will end up on, but I have to say that even with the plastic pearls in my stash, I was happy with these.


It is interesting to see how the shape of a mould changes the look of the button - the star on the left is on a flat disc mould, while the right a domed mould.

***Correction - the one of the left is the DOMED mould and I mis-typed! Sorry for the confusion and thanks to those who let me know my mistake!!***

This technique actually working has opened up a whole new aspect - and fixed a few other button 'problems'  - photos of suits, etc that I know have passementerie buttons but can't see the detail quite enough. Still, I won't get any further sidetracked until filming is complete....

The website is also getting an overhaul over the next few months! I know... hopefully it will go smoothly. There are a few other things happening, but I have to keep quiet about them at the moment...

And so, to keep you updated, my next scheduled show at Create and Craft is on July 26th at 10am. That's a way off yet, so do remember to check my website or C&C's listings closer to the time, as live tv often gets changed at the last minute.

Thanks for all of your support!


2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is one fancy book! Congratulations!
    The flat/moulded button issue is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very fancy and thorough looking book! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.